Re: [users@httpd] init.d/httpd file missing and error running apachectl

Mark Sargent wrote:

Aman Raheja wrote:

Mark Sargent wrote:

Hi All,

just recently installed ver 2.0.53 and went to restart after configuring httpd.conf and got the following,

Good move

thanx

[root@localhost conf]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart
-bash: /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd: No such file or directory

funny, cause when installing earlier today, on a work machine, it existed. So, I then tried the following,

because this package never installs it and on the other machine you had a different apache installed and that's what was executed and not the new one, when you ran the script - You might want to check which apache version are you running on that other box, as well.

Okay, perhaps that makes sense, as I did have a previous httpd installed(but, I uninstalled via yum b4 re-installing the new one). Same version running on the other box.

[root@localhost bin]# /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl restart
httpd: could not open document config file /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf

why is it looking for apache as opposed to apache2.? Below is the apachectl file,

Did you copy your httpd.conf file from the older install of apache from this or another box and that still has the root set incorrectly?

No, did no such thing. I'll recheck the httpd.conf(as you seem to be alluding to the fact that something is set there to make it look for apache as opposed to apache2 dir.)

[root@localhost bin]# cat apachectl
#!/bin/sh
#
# Copyright 2000-2005 The Apache Software Foundation or its licensors, as
# applicable.
#
# Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
# you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
# You may obtain a copy of the License at
#
#     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
#
# Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
# distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
# WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
# See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
# limitations under the License.
#
#
# Apache control script designed to allow an easy command line interface
# to controlling Apache.  Written by Marc Slemko, 1997/08/23
#
# The exit codes returned are:
#   XXX this doc is no longer correct now that the interesting
#   XXX functions are handled by httpd
#       0 - operation completed successfully
#       1 -
#       2 - usage error
#       3 - httpd could not be started
#       4 - httpd could not be stopped
#       5 - httpd could not be started during a restart
#       6 - httpd could not be restarted during a restart
#       7 - httpd could not be restarted during a graceful restart
#       8 - configuration syntax error
#
# When multiple arguments are given, only the error from the _last_
# one is reported.  Run "apachectl help" for usage info
#
ARGV="$@"
#
# |||||||||||||||||||| START CONFIGURATION SECTION |||||||||||||||||||| # -------------------- --------------------
#
# the path to your httpd binary, including options if necessary
HTTPD='/usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd'
#
# pick up any necessary environment variables
if test -f /usr/local/apache2/bin/envvars; then
 . /usr/local/apache2/bin/envvars
fi
#
# a command that outputs a formatted text version of the HTML at the
# url given on the command line.  Designed for lynx, however other
# programs may work.
LYNX="lynx -dump"
#
# the URL to your server's mod_status status page.  If you do not
# have one, then status and fullstatus will not work.
STATUSURL="http://localhost:80/server-status";
#
# Set this variable to a command that increases the maximum
# number of file descriptors allowed per child process. This is
# critical for configurations that use many file descriptors,
# such as mass vhosting, or a multithreaded server.
ULIMIT_MAX_FILES="ulimit -S -n `ulimit -H -n`"
# -------------------- -------------------- # |||||||||||||||||||| END CONFIGURATION SECTION ||||||||||||||||||||

# Set the maximum number of file descriptors allowed per child process.
if [ "x$ULIMIT_MAX_FILES" != "x" ] ; then
   $ULIMIT_MAX_FILES
fi

ERROR=0
if [ "x$ARGV" = "x" ] ; then
   ARGV="-h"
fi

case $ARGV in
start|stop|restart|graceful)
   $HTTPD -k $ARGV
   ERROR=$?
   ;;
startssl|sslstart|start-SSL)
   $HTTPD -k start -DSSL
   ERROR=$?
   ;;
configtest)
   $HTTPD -t
   ERROR=$?
   ;;
status)
   $LYNX $STATUSURL | awk ' /process$/ { print; exit } { print } '
   ;;
fullstatus)
   $LYNX $STATUSURL
   ;;
*)
   $HTTPD $ARGV
   ERROR=$?
esac

exit $ERROR

I don't see any reference to calling httpd.conf from apache as opposed to apache2. Am I missing something..? Was following this,

http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.php

Anyone know what's going on..? Cheers.

php=5.0.4
apache=2.0.53
OS=Fedora 3 (same as work machine, which had no errors like this)
Mark sargent.

Aman Raheja
TechQuotes.com

Cheers, Aman.

Mark Sargent.

Hi All,

anyone got any thoughts on this..? I do not have another version installed. I never moved any httpd.conf into apache2/conf dir. I still do not understand why it's looking for httpd.conf in apache dir, as opposed to apache2 dir. Where is this done from, httpd.conf or the bin file itself..? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.