From: dan [mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 4:16 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] apache config file.. we need a guru!!!!!

bruce wrote:
> chris...
>
> i'm looking for someone who can really help me understand what/how the
> following section of httpd.conf file does....

> #
> #       Primary GForge vhost
> #
> # HTTP
> <VirtualHost 192.168.1.52:80>
>         ServerName gforge.mesa.com
>         #ServerAlias app2.gotdns.com
>         ServerAdmin webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>         DocumentRoot /var/www/gforge/www
>
> <Directory /var/www/gforge/www>
>   Options Indexes FollowSymlinks
>   AllowOverride All
>   order allow,deny
>   allow from all
>   php_admin_value include_path
> "/var/www/gforge/etc/custom:/var/www/gforge:/var/www/gforge/www/include:."
>   php_admin_value default_charset "UTF-8"
>   php_admin_value register_globals "On"
> </Directory>
>
>         Alias /images/ /var/www/gforge/www/images/
>         DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
>         <IfModule mod_userdir.c>
>                 UserDir disabled
>         </IfModule>
>
>         php_admin_value default_charset "UTF-8"
>
>         <Directory /var/www/gforge/www>
>                 Include   /var/www/gforge/etc/httpd.secrets
>         </Directory>
>
>         ScriptAliasMatch ^/plugins/([^/]*)/cgi-bin/(.*)
> /usr/lib/gforge/plugins/$1/cgi-bin/$2
>
>         # Projects and Users script
>         <Location /projects>
>                 ForceType application/x-httpd-php
>         </Location>
>         <Location /users>
>                 ForceType application/x-httpd-php
>         </Location>
>
>         # 404 Error document
>         ErrorDocument 404 /404.php
>         LogFormat "%h %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
> gforge
> #       CustomLog "|/usr/sbin/cronolog
> /var/www/gforge/var/log/#gforge/%Y/%m/%d/gforge.log" gforge
>
>         # GForge without the DNS delegation
>         # Project home pages are in a virtual /www/<group> location
>         AliasMatch ^/www/([^/]*)/(.*) /home/groups/$1/htdocs/$2
>         ScriptAliasMatch ^/([^/]*)/cgi-bin/(.*) /home/groups/$1/cgi-bin/$2
>         <Directory /home/groups>
>                 Options Indexes FollowSymlinks
>                 AllowOverride All
>                 order allow,deny
>                 allow from all
>         </Directory>
>
>         # Ensure that we don't try to use SSL on SSL Servers
>         <IfModule apache_ssl.c>
>                 SSLDisable
>         </IfModule>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> i've got my dns set up to allow me to resolve http://gforge.mesa.com on my
> internal network.
>
> but i want to be able to resolve http://gforge.mesa.com/projects/foo. any
> ideas as to how to do this with the above config???
>
> this is critical, and driving me up a wall!!!!!!
>
> if possible, i'd like to be able to talk to you, if you're able to tell me
> how/what this is doing...

> [...]

Bruce -

I don't understand what's so difficult to understand here.  This is a
semi-advanced configuration, but nothing 20 minutes of google'ing can't
tell you.  You need to calm down, buddy.  All this information can be
found on one of several manual pages and/or online documentation.

You claim that there is an error - well, what's the error?  Where is it?
  We haven't seen any errors, how are we to tell exactly what is wrong?

You don't "resolve" a URI, you access it.  What happens when you go to
http://gforge.mesa.com/projects/foo?  Again, this is where that error
would help.  Give http://gforge.mesa.com/projects/foo/ a shot - take
note, the trailing slash.

Like I said, we're all here to help, but not if you're running around
like a chicken with your head cut off.  Take this email, and sit down,
and think about exactly what is REALLY wrong.  Document it, describe the
problems and your current setup.  Include "exact" errors - don't say "it
didn't work" - that doesn't help us at all.  Include logs.  This isn't
asking too much.

When you've got all this, come back to us, and we'd be happy to help.

Thanks
-dant