[users@httpd] Newbie to Apache 2.0 want to install on Windows XP

I'm a complete newbie, and want to run my own Webserver. Paying $9.95 for only 500 megs when my website is huge is stupid, when I have a DSL line, and a static IP. Apache 2.0 was recommended, as I need to run multiple domains (virtual hosts), which include subdomains. First off, I did buy two books to set up Apache, but I'm still confused. Can anyone recommend a Windows GUI interface for configuring and using Apache? Comanche is recommended in one book, but it's not working right now, according to the author's website.

If nothing is available for free (I'm on Disability, and the husband is paying for the DSL line, etc. HE is the one that wants the webserver in our house), I hope the information on the Apache website will get me where I want to go. I assume that Apache will work through a firewall, and can handle email. I HOPE it can handle email, otherwise, I need to run something like WinServer (Wildcat), and I'd rather just run Apache right now. I have to run BOTH, if I want message boards, because WinServer doesn't handle multiple domains or subdomains, which is something that is essential that I have. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Apache IS installed, I just don't know how to configure the httpd.conf file. I am following the docs file on apache.org, but I have a feeling it may not answer all the questions I have.

Dana Marshall
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx