[users@httpd] Q: Error 500 on Non-UTF-8 encoded SEARCHPART (REDIRECT_QUERY_STRING)

Hi!

I need to use 8bit characters in the search part of a URL (e.g. German,
Swedish, French characters). Now, Apache 2.0.53 on windows tries to
convert the UTF8 characters to UCS2 and fails with an E500.

I was looking at the bug reports #32730 and #33055, but they solve only
the address part of the URL, not the search part, e.g. PATH_INFO is not
converted but REDIRECT_QUERY_STRING is. I was using the patch from
#32730, and is has exactly this effect.

I was looking at RFC1738 and updates to see what the standard is saying.
Basically, 8bit characters do not appear there. But discussions in
#32730 state that the CGI application should get the original string
(again, only for PATH_INFO not for the search part).

My question now: why is the search part still converted? That means
basically that I cannot use any 8bit character for searching e.g. in a
multi-lingual database (my application here is a database with qoutes,
and many authors have characters such as á, í, é or even worse ö, ü and
ä in their name).

I am not sure if that is a bug or a feature or if there is any
workarround (I have not seen any configuration option stopping apache
doing that). So for now, my only chance is going back to apache 1?

Any idea?

Thanks!
Sven