Re: [users@httpd] What is best way to upgarde mod_ssl? Does one have to upgrad entire Apache install

Joshua,
  Our security folks are now indicating that the mod_ssl associated with Apache
1.3.28 is the one causing the problems.  This was part of a static Apache
compile.  They are recommending upgrading mod_ssl to 2.8.22.  They are also
recommending upgrading Apache to 1.3.33.

On the Apache 2.0.48 install that we have running, they're recommending
upgrading to 2.0.53.   And upgrading OpenSSL to  0.9.7f.  I'm a little confused
about the alerts here.  OpenSSL was used to generate the security certificate,
but as I recall, wasn't even part of the Apache 2.0 install.  Does that sound
correct?

Please verify if there really is a vulnerability with th ssl_log() function
which
could warrant upgrading all these apps.

Charlie ;)
3/30/05

>>> SmithCW@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 03/25/05 8:04 AM >>>
I didn't.  Just wondering.   Well, actually we've got some security people here
that indicate a problem with the versionof mod_ssl we're running.  They
recommended upgrading mod_ssl, evidently,  because of security problems with the
mod_ssl that comes with our version of Apache - something about a mod_ssl
containing a format string vulnerability in the ssl_log() function which 'may
allow an attacker to potentially execute arbitrary code'.  So...

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:42:57 -0700, Charlie Smith <SmithCW@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Thanks Joshua.  The instance I wanted to upgrade is actually httpd-2.0.48

Then you are better off just upgrading all of apache.  Why do you
think you need to upgrade mod_ssl independently?

Joshua.

This message may contain confidential information, and is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it
is addressed.