[users@httpd] Limiting connections by directory, including cgis?

I have been searching all around with no luck.

I want to be able to limit the number of connections per directory, in order to prevent a case which
has happened in the past where one of our products gets backed up and prevents connections to
another.

I found mod_bandwidth, and it looked perfect until I saw that it doesn't work with CGIs, which is all this is.

mod_throttle almost looked promising, but it looks like that won't quite do it either, if I understand it properly.

Is there some way to do this? We are using the 1.3 apache branch, but could probably switch to Apache 2 if
needed.

My thought was something that limited each product directory to a number of connections less than the total
allowed, but if there is some other way to do it, I am open to suggestions.