[users@httpd] apache attack

I believe I was recently attacked but still there seems to be
something missing.  Yesterday my web server went pretty slow at a
certain point.   When I checked my Linux process list there we're
roughly 10 times as much processes as usual (maxed from the apache
configs) and Apache was killing the oldest processes.  This is not
normal traffic, and I for sure thought I was either attacked or
someone made a very bad script.  Strangely enough, there are
absolutely no sign of additional requests in the apache logfile.  By
looking at the file there are no more traffic at the time of the
incident than in normal circumstances.  There ain't no sign of a bad
script (same source IP, same URI).  So I'm supposing it was a DOS
attack but can someone explain why it wouldn't show up in the logs.
Is it that we recieved so many requests all at the same time and
Apache wasn't able to process them ?  The load average on my server
went over 33 and the MySQL server was also quite busy (it is located
on another server).