[users@httpd] Strange Problem

Hi there,
This is a problem I'm facing for a long time.
I have a server which serves advertisement banners (with phpAdsNew). The apache web server is the only application this server runs (there is no database server or other service running).
The machine consists of two pIII CPUs at 1000MHz and is equiped with 1 GB of RAM.
It serves approximately 300,000 requests per hour at rush hour.
The load average reaches a peak of 0.50 at this load.
So far so good, but in an arbitrary moment all apache processes stop serving requests, and all of the processes are trying to consume a lot of cpu time, and load average is increasing very fast (at the end the load average is almost equal to the number of running apache processes, which is 500). In this condition the server is not responding and all I can do is to reboot the machine.
When this strange thing happens varies. It can happen after a few hours of uptime, or it can suddenly happen after 20 days since the last reboot. Anyway, it is ok to say that this thing happens about once in a week.
I have read the logs, both apache's and system's but there is nothing. Not a clue. Everything seems to stop at the time of the "crash". All logs stop at this moment without a error message.
There is a crontab that restarts the apache server every day, late at night when the traffic is in its lowest. (but this does not seem to help...)
The versions of the software I'm using is: SuSE Linux 9.1 , Linux kernel 2.4.21-99-smp4G (the precompiled kernel that comes with SuSE 9.1), Apache 2.0.52 , PHP 4.3.11, Turck mm-cache 2.4.6
Any ideas? Your help will be very much appreciated.
Yannis Tsakiris