Re: [users@httpd] Having problems with apache virtual servers

Boyle Owen wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Richmond Dyes [mailto:rdyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Dienstag, 22. März 2005 14:10
To: Apache userlist
Subject: [users@httpd] Having problems with apache virtual servers

I have an apache setup that seemed to be fine but when I put in a
virtual host, now I can only get to the virtual host. I can't
get to the
main one. This is how my setup looks.

Your problem is that you are assuming that if apache can't match a name
to a virtual host, it will default to the "main" server. This is
incorrect.

Once you define NameVirtualHost, apache will test the Host header of
incoming requests against all VHs with that IP. If it can't find a match
it will use the first one.

You need to forget about the idea of a "main" server and make both sites
VHs on the IP. Then put you "main" site first in the config so you get
the required behaviour detailed in para 1.

BTW, I assume you typed all this in by hand (hence the "named" typo)...
When posting config, it's better to cut'n'paste - tehn we see what is
*really* there, rather than what you think is there...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

ip address
10.0.0.120
The host file on the server reads
10.0.0.120   mainserver
10.0.0.120   virtualhost

httpd.conf has the following settings

servername is mainserver
documentroot   /www/main/htdocs

namedvirtualhost 10.0.0.120:80

<Virtualhost 10.0.0.120>
servername virtualhost
documentroot /www/virtual/htdocs
other directives
</virtualhost>

In the host file of the test windows client I have
10.0.0.120   mainserver
10.0.0.120   virtualhost

Before I put in the virtual host it went to mainserver fine.
Now that I
added the virtual host, I can't get to the mainserver anymore. Can
someone shed some light on this?

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.