De : Diego M. Vadell [mailto:dvadell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Envoyé : mercredi 16 mars 2005 15:09
À : users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : [users@httpd] Multiple SSL enabled Virtual Servers and mod_rewrite

Hi,
   Im a bit confused with multiple virtual hosts with SSL. Clearly you cannot use multiple <VirtualHost> with SSL, but I dont undestand *why*. I googled for it, but I still dont understand.
   I know that, by protocol design, https can deal with one certificate per IP/port . Client and server will exchange certificates before the client sends the request (I apologize for my lack of knowledge and vocabulary), so there is no way to avoid having a popup warning about the domain name mismatch if I want to make two SSL-enabled virtual hosts. But I noticed that even working with https, the HTTP_HOST variable is set independent from the servername in the SSL VirtualHost.
    So I wrote a couple of mod_rewrite rules , put them into the SSL Virtualhost, and now I can browse https://domain1.com/  and https://domain2.com/ and it will serve different pages, the same as with VirtualHost (in fact, the mod_rewrite rules are not others than the "VirtualHosts without VirtualHosts" example in mod_rewrite's documentation).
    My questions: Is there any other better way of doing this? What are the drawbacks? Any comments? Im a bit lost in not finding an answer to a useful thing like SSL-enabled virtual host (or alike).
   BTW, I know I will have the warning about the certificate name mismatch, I just find useful to have the HTTP traffic encrypted.

Looking forward to your answers, and sorry for my English,
 -- Diego.
--
-----
:( >> $$