[users@httpd] Anti-password trading/sharing utilities

Hello, all -

I have a number of Web sites that use a membership-based access system, using plain HTTP Auth. I know we've all used this type of protection in the past, so I thought I'd ask some questions about it.

For the last few weeks, I have been giving a considerable amount of time into the research and development of a script written in PHP to combat the use of stolen, traded, or otherwise unauthorized passwords. The idea is, make the system only allow one instance of said user/password combination, without disrupting normal business. I am, however, still open to suggestions before this is even complete.

There are a number of commercial products out there that work wonders, most notably ProxyPass. There's also one called iProtect, which I am not too fond of. These are actually Apache modules that utilize a number of techniques to ensure that only authorized hosts have access to a particular Web site based on a number of metrics including IP addresses, cookies, and timing.

I am looking for a similar utility, that will help combat the use of stolen, traded, or otherwise unauthorized passwords. I am hoping that some of you have had experience with this sort of problem in the past, if you've dealt with Web sites with a considerably large userbase that uses HTTP Auth. The solution that I am ultimately looking for will be Open Source, so that it can be modified with the author's permission, it will be safe, fast, and overall secure. However, it cannot be a "gateway" solution that would require a Webmaster to move or remove content, pages, or the like. With this in mind, the solution would preferrably be an Apache module.

Anyway, I thought I'd send this email out to as the group as a whole. I think that this area of security is not very well controlled, and with a little bit of brainstorming, we might be able to put some more control back in it.

Thanks again for the time
-dant