RE: [users@httpd] mod_proxy and Redirect

I am a little bit surprised that changing the order in which the modules are loaded does not do anything for you.

Even if the modules were compiled into Apache you would have had the possibility to change the order of the modules with ClearModuleList and AddModule.

I have myself used Apache 1.3 as a reverse proxy and done redirects using the rewrite module and never had problems with that provided the module ordering was correct. If it can be of any help to you, here is the order in which we added modules:

ClearModuleList
AddModule mod_vhost_alias.c
AddModule mod_env.c
AddModule mod_log_config.c
AddModule mod_mime.c
AddModule mod_status.c
AddModule mod_cgi.c
AddModule mod_alias.c
AddModule mod_access.c
AddModule mod_digest.c
AddModule mod_proxy.c
AddModule mod_headers.c
AddModule mod_usertrack.c
AddModule mod_so.c
AddModule mod_rewrite.c
AddModule mod_setenvif.c
<IfDefine SSL>
AddModule mod_ssl.c
</IfDefine>

Otherwise, if you have no compelling reason for staying with Apache 1.3, you may consider migrating to 2.0. That would take care of your module ordering problem altogether.

Best reagrds,
-ascs