To: <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Redirect users trying to access any page on my
site to the homepage

Noah wrote:

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 10:19:10PM +0000, Jos? Ferradeira wrote:

Bruce Kingsbury wrote:

Jos? Ferradeira wrote:

Hi,

I allways go to an infinite loop with IE and to this message "exceeded
redirection limit" with Firefox when configuring mod_rewrite to
redirect users trying to direct access any page on my site to the
homepage.

[snip]

/var/www/html/.htaccess :

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://192.168.5.230 [NC]
RewriteRule /* http://192.168.5.230 [R,L]

What am I doing wrong?

You're assuming that HTTP_REFERER is being set when the browser follows
the redirect; a quick test will verify that doesn't happen (well, not
with Firefox, anyway). To avoid the loop, you can add the following line
after the 'RewriteEngine on':

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$

This verifies that the referer header is there; if it's not, the
redirect will not be issued at all. Note that this may /not/ be the
ultimate effect you're going for. =)

--n

Well, with "RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$" the loop stops but the base
idea doesn't work, it didn't redirect to home page when I direct access
a page on the site. The .htaccess now is like this :

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://192.168.5.230/ [NC]
RewriteRule /* http://192.168.5.230/ [R,L]

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

*CensorNet* <http://ti.theta.pt/censornet/index.php>
Controlo e gestão dos acessos à Internet    *WEBPORT*
<http://ti.theta.pt/webport/index.php>
A sua informação sempre On-Line