Re: [users@httpd] mod_cache and mod_header

Hi,
I am using Apache 2.0.46 (A) as my reverse proxy to an Apache server -2.0.52.(B)

I am trying to cache some files on my reverse proxy and hence have configured my httpd.conf as follows :

  CacheEnable disk /xxx
  CacheEnable disk /yyy
  CacheRoot "/var/cache/mod_proxy"
  CacheSize 1000000

The files for /xxx reside on server B. The files within that directory are image files. Hence I have added the Cache-Control header for them as follows :

  <Directory "xxx">
   <FilesMatch "\.(gif)$">
Header append Cache-Control "max-age=300,s-maxage=300,public,must-revalidate,proxy-revalidate"
    </FilesMatch>
  </Directory>

I see that incase I change my image files, the new file gets loaded after 300 seconds after it has been cached. Until then it retrieves from the cache which is right. But after the new file is loaded, even for the subsequent requests , I see that it goes to server B for retrieving the file, than retrieving from the cache . And in between it seems to retrieve from the cache too.

The files seem to expire withing the max-age duration and at irregular intervals of time.

Both my servers, A and B are set to the same time, though I am not using an NTP server. I have tried searching as much over the net and trying various possibilities but still am unable to understand why the cache is not behaving as expected.

 Pls. let me know if you have any ideas/suggestions.

Thks,
-Deepa