[users@httpd] HTTPD pausing?

I've got Apache/2.0.46 running on RH ES3 and am experiencing a little
bit of an odd problem.  Apache seems to be periodically pausing before
returning a page.  The pause is noticable and is occuring for both
static files (images and simple html pages) and also on PERL scripts
called through a browser.

I realise I'm not running the most recent version of Apache, but I
don't think that's the cause of this problem as we have a few other
machines running this configuration on this same network segment
without this problem.

I'm guessing this problem could reside in the HTTPD configuation or
elsewhere such a network config, but I haven't seen evidence of a
network slowdown in other parts of this system.

I'm not a complete newbie to Linux/Apache, but I'm also not a seasoned
pro.  Any suggestions of places to look or things to try would be
appreciated.

-Cameron

--
Cameron Childress