Re: [users@httpd] Apache2 fails to start with SSL

Thanks for the in depth reply. It seems that OpenSSL 0.9.7e has an issue with freebsd 4 and 5 and should be fixed in OpenSSL 0.9.7f.

I ended up installing OpenSSL 0.9.7d and it all worked.

Thanks again.

Prashant Shetty wrote:
Disclaimer : I have never worked on FreeBSD. But I have faced a similar problem on AIX. Hope this helps.

Your problem could be due to one of these 2 reasons :

1.
$ cd $APACHE/bin
$ nm httpd | grep X509_free
.X509_free           T   269329596
X509_free            D   536981544
X509_free            d   536981544          12
X509_free            d   537011792           4

If there is no output at all, it means that the symbol has not been exported.

While building Apache SSL WebServer, the symbols from OpenSSL Library libssl.a are exported into the httpd executable in Apache. In this case, X509_free( ). But during linking and binding, any unused or unreferenced symbols might be deleted (This is the case with platforms like AIX. I do not know about FreeBSD). Hence, this symbol is missing from httpd.

Solution :
While building Apache, the make command has to be fired in the following manner :
make MFLAGS="EXTRA_LDFLAGS='-Wl,-bE:OpenSSL_Symbols.exp'"
where OpenSSL_Symbols.exp is the file containing the following symbol :
X509_free

Please note that the symbol has to be exported using the export file only, as shown. We were NOT able to export the symbol on AIX with the following methods :
-bnogc : To supress garbage collection of symbols
-bexpall : To export all symbols
-uSymbolName : To export a particular symbol

2. While building Apache 1.3.33 SSL on AIX, we had faced a lot of problems with openssl-0.9.7e version. Hence, we switched to openssl-0.9.7d. This might help.

Let me know what happens.

Regards,
Prashant.

Michael Dale wrote:

Hey everyone,

I've had a look around and I cannot seem to find a solution to my problem. So hopefully you guys know what to do!

I'm running to get mod_ssl to work on my freebsd box (freebsd 4.10, basic install) but every time I try and run ./apachectl startssl I get the following error:

Cannot load /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so into server: /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so: Undefined symbol "X509_free".

I compiled OpenSSL 0.9.7e from source with the following options:
./config shared

I then installed apache 2.0.53 from source with the following options:

./configure --enable-mods-shared=most --enable-proxy --enable-suexec --enable-ssl --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl

So does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,