Re: [users@httpd] Delivering huge documents

Noah wrote:
On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 10:31:21AM -0800, Richard Crawford wrote:

We're having a problem delivering very large pdf documents to our website users. I'm not sure that this is something I can address in the httpd configuration, but I've toyed with the TimeOut directive in httpd.conf. Am I on the right track?

What exactly is the problem and what (if any) effect is this having on
Apache? =)

Sorry I wasn't clear. Got interrupted and sent the earlier message off in a hurry.

We have a document which is a 1.5MB PDF document. For some of our visitors, the download seems to stop before the full document is delivered. I haven't been able to identify any common issues among the visitors who are having the problems (though I suspect they're on a dialup connection). The PDF itself seems to be have no problems, since it's delivered just fine over broadband connections. This issue appears to be browser-independent as well. I've also confirmed that the affected users are using the most recent version of Acrobat Reader as well.

I had wondered if the TimeOut directive in my Apache httpd configuration might be the culprit; I knew that in earlier versions, if a document was too large, the TimeOut directive could cause Apache to stop delivering huge documents if it took longer than the amount of time defined in TimeOut. However, we're using Apache 2.0.45, and our TimeOut is set to twenty minutes. Just to be on the super-safe side, I set the TimeOut to two hours, though doing that makes me twitch.

Since we're using Cold Fusion, I also double-checked our timeout configuration in Cold Fusion. It is disabled, as I set it up to be; I enabled it and set it to twenty minutes, but I don't think this will make a difference.

So, this is annoying me and it's costing us customers. I've also set my KeepAliveTimout setting pretty high, but I don't know if that will have an impact.

So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--
Richard S. Crawford
Programmer III