[users@httpd] rewrite url to another url

I have Apache 1.3.27 installed on a LAMP server called lx6.isu.edu.
The server is setup to do dynamic virtual hosting. The main server is
called http://www2d.isu.edu and the document root
 is /var/www/www2d.

When someone types http://lx6.isu.edu  I would  like it to be
redirected to http://www2d.isu.edu.  The ServerAlias directive will
not work when your using dynamic virtual hosting, because I tried it
out, and also read that it will not work if  virtual hosting is used.
Right now to get this to work I have a symbolic link in /var/www
called "lx6" and  it's directed to /var/www/www2d.
Example   lx6 -> /var/www/www2d, but I would really like to remove
this, because I don't think it's the best solution.

If it's a Rewrite rule I need, could someone send me an example of
what I need to do here.  I've
got the rewrite_module loaded on the server, but I've never done any
rewrite conditions yet.  I have read the URL Rewriting Guide on the
Apache home site, and I understand bits and pieces off it, but I don't
want to turn the server on and off several times to get this to work.
I need the server running as much as possible.

Thanks for your help in advance.