Re: [users@httpd] home computer as a server

Tim Burden wrote:
Yes - this external IP was the one I was already using, though the Name is
different to the one in the Apache config file. Maybe it's worth playing
about with that?

No, it should get translated by the modem. Usually they just block 80, so do
try to use another port.

The *name* (like "ServerName" or even "ServerAlias") as seen in an
Apache config file, should be a DNS resolvable name that *any* machine
on the *net* can use to look up and get to your machine.  If you don't
have a resolvable *name* ... then you'd have to use an IP address.

Now, on the same kind of note, if you have an IP address that changes
because it's part of a non-business network (like at home) and you're
not supposed to get a static IP address..... DynDNS (I think) makes it
possible to have a local DNS server that will check periodically that
the local IP has changed/not changed and make the proper adjustments
necessary to DNS when it's time to.  But, to do that, you have to have
a hole for port 53 (name services) punched into the firewall and forwarded
to the local DynDNS instance so that you can perform DNS resolution for
others for machine(s)...

Probably not a good idea to have the local machine be the primary DNS
as you really need a remote machine (outside of your network) to have
a regular static IP address that will take updates from the DynDNS
instance.  The outside world should look up your domain there first
and then that machine resolve to your current IP address.  I think
that's the way it works.

Tyler Nally