Hexadecimal representation of special characters breaking JSON logs

As per https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_log_config.html#format-notes we see special characters getting represented in our logs by their hexadecimal representation - \xhh

However, we output our logs in a json format, and this representation results in invalid JSON, which gives us problems when we forward them to Logstash.

A path of /abc gives us the expected output: "@message": "GET /abc HTTP/1.1"
which is valid JSON
But a path of e.g. /abcé results in: "@message": "GET /abc\xc3\xa9 HTTP/1.1"
which results in jq reporting parse error: Invalid escape

Ideally, we'd like to disable the hex representation and just have the original string in our logs. Failing that, adding additional backslashes to escape the inserted hex seems like it should work, and I thought piping the log via sed would allow for this, but for some reason

CustomLog "|$/usr/bin/sed 's/old/new/g' >> logfile" logstash_ext_json

just results in nothing being logged to the file - no errors anywhere, just no logging happening.

Any advice on how to fix the logging so every special character doesn't break JSON parsing would be appreciated!

Thanks