RE: Measurements of htaccess processing penalty

> The whole point of .htaccess files is that they aren't cached, it gives
> users who are not able to control the server the ability to make
> configuration changes.

I have never ever modified these in application directories. You do this maybe once in the top level, maybe for some redirection and other configs. That is then the last time you touched them.

> If you can control the server process, you should
> prut configuration in <Directory> sections that are loaded at start time
> which are then cached in memory by the server process.

Yes I will now ;) On the other hand, you could argue to just stick to web application defaults and maybe cache them.