Re: Limiting redirects with rewriterule/rewritecond

In my ongoing effort to reduce the number of redirects for linuxsecurity.com, I could use a bit more help. Currently we have one redirect to strip off any potential trailing slash as well as another that strips out any preceding 'www'.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.(.*)$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://%1/$1 [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)/$ $1 [R=301,L]

The rest of our redirects are of the form:

RewriteRule ^/about/us /about [L,R=301]

Should I be combining each of these to also do the above with something like:

RewriteRule ^/about/us/? https://linuxsecurity.com/about [L,R=301]

It seems like that would reduce the number of redirects by two, but I'm unsure of what implications that would otherwise have. Maybe if I instead performed the RewriteConds without R=301 and just rewrote the URL itself? I'm not sure how that works.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Perhaps you can, but be careful about not creating loops, especially if using .htaccess files.
Do you mean because of patterns matching itself?

Also, is there a specific reason why you're not using Redirect with mod_alias instead?

I'm not as familiar with how mod_alias works, but also thought its functionality was more limited?

Ideas for how to do the above using mod_alias would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave