problem configuring https

I have followed and consulted many of the online resources for configuring https access to my website.

I still cannot get https to work.

I get that my website is unreachable.

I use sslmate to generate the ssl files including the mkconfig option which points the apache2 virtual host to the ‘correct’ ssl files.

My web host is behind a router that links to the internet. I use port forwarding on the router to direct web access to the correct host. http connections work just fine.

I have ufw running on ubuntu and have enabled ports 80 and 443 for access.

The apache server on the host does not flag an errors.

What steps can I take to debug this further?

Are there any ‘tricks’ to try to get this working.

Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks

Phil