Bug autoconf

This is a very subtle bug that has been around in latest software since a few months ago. In different forums you will see it reported in different packages of different kinds of software and manufacturers.

Concretely in Apache we can reproduce it like this:
1. Latest apache works well in configure,make, make install.
Up to this point it works well.

2. BUT when trying to use buildconf based on autoconf , and then configure, with the option --with-included-apr, like this:

buildconf
./configure --with-included-apr

then it fails with a bug that has been unknown to the community for several months now, in different software packages.

Specifically:
-after using autoconf, if we simply use ./configure , with no parameters, the configure command ends successfully with, for example:
---------------------------
config.status: executing default commands
configure: summary of build options:

   Server Version: 2.4.55
   Install prefix: /usr/local/apache-2.4.55
   C compiler:     gcc
   CFLAGS:          -g -O2 -pthread
   CPPFLAGS:        -DLINUX -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE
   LDFLAGS:
   LIBS:
   C preprocessor: gcc -E
----------------------

and return code $? is 0.

But when adding --with-included-apr option, we find it fails with (output between lines)
checking whether int64_t and int use fmt %d... no
checking whether int64_t and long use fmt %ld... no
checking whether int64_t and long long use fmt %lld... no
configure: error: could not determine the string function for int64_t
and the return code $? is 1.

Above event occurred using  latest apache (2.4.55) and the latest autoconf  (2.71) up to now, that is:

autoconf-2.71.tar.xz 2021-01-28 17:48 1.2M
downloaded from:
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/

when using the command after using buildconf, with the

Other manufacturers had the very same problem with autoconf and were able to solve it. For example in the following link they recognized it as a bug in their own package after using autoconf, and have some info that might be useful for Apache developers:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/962dda1b-66bf-693e-af53-3bc6c455ea75@xxxxxxx/T/

I hope this has been precise enough for reporting the bug, and thanks for your work. Don't hesitate to reach me out if I can be of service to solve this or share more info, or anything you need.

David López
Programmer.