Apache switching PHP versions when Sethandler is set in apache config file

Hello,

I have given a detailed outline of my issue as well as configuration, links to posts from other users with the same issue, and attempted fixes here: https://serverfault.com/questions/1108437/why-are-my-2-sites-on-the-same-server-randomly-switching-php-versions-with-ph I'm not sure if it's worth reposting in its entirety here.

To summarise, when on Debian 9, 10, and 11 systems and using Apache 2.4.53/54, with PHP FPM and Linux sockets I'm encountering an issue with SetHandler. If SetHandler is set in the Apache config file specific to a particular site then Apache will switch between the available PHP versions on the machine when refreshing a page, when using SetHandler in .htaccess files the switching doesn't occur.

What I mean by switching is that if loading a single index.php file on a single site when the contents of the file are only phpinfo(), sometimes I will see output for PHP8 and sometimes for 8.1.

If I set SetHandler to use localhost instead of a socket then the error doesn't occur there either, however that is a bit of a headache since I have many machines that are affected and it also doesn't explain why the sockets aren't working as they should.

Any help would be much appreciated!