Re: site compromised and httpd log analysis

On Wed, Jul 6, 2022 at 8:33 AM Yehuda Katz <yehuda@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Your log doesn't start early enough. Someone uploaded a web shell (or found an existing web shell) to your server, possibly using an upload for that doesn't validate the input, then used that shell to run commands on your server.

Yes, that was not too old log

Here is another old log  paste  https://zerobin.net/?a4d9f5b146676594#hkpTU0ljaG5W0GUNVEsaYqvffQilrXavBmbK+V9mzUw=

.

Here is another log which starts earlier than the earlier logs.  Which may help to investigate more.

I would consider your entire server to be compromised at this point since you have no record of what else the attacker could have done once they had a shell.

Yes we took the server down, and recreated the VM with an old backup. Also informed the developer/maintainer about this simple.shell execution and the need of regular patching of the PHP7 version and the wordpress framework they used for hosting.

I would like to know what other details / analysis we need to perform to find out how the attacker got access and what time the backdoor was installed and through what vulnerability they exploited ?

I request your tips  to investigate further and to find the root cause of this kind of attack and how to prevent it in future..??

Make sure that you do not allow users to upload files and then execute those files.

- Y