Re: Re: rotatelogs behavior in kubernetes pod

Would you please update the man page so the next poor slob doesn't lose important traces when their modern container environment restarts and their logs are lost as a result of using -n?

I'd do it myself but I don't have the tooling set up, nor do I know how to submit patches to Apache projects, and my time is limited.

(Believe it or not rotatelogs is one of the only pre-built pipe log rotation tools that comes up when searching for such a thing.)

Separately:

Arguably the following "correct" behavior is backwards compatible with the existing behavior: Retain only a limited amount of trace-like output, would be to continue appending to the newest file of any existing logfiles matching the [1...n] filenames; or if that fails, only then open and truncate the (i+1)%n'th one, where i = largest n from existing files.

The existing behavior is also arguably wrong. Once your base file is full, whether or not you've rotated through again, you end up with whatever's in that file, plus a truncated .1 file: There is then no clear relationship between the last line of the base file and the first line of the .1 file.

Thanks for looking.

Andrew