Re: Is a home directory for the httpd user safe?

On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 3:24 PM Stormy <stormy22@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2022-02-27 10:31 a.m., Tom Browder wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 09:11 Jeroen Verhoeckx
> > <j.verhoeckx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> Why do you need a predefined user with a writeable home directory?

Sorry, I was not very clear: Raku has expectations about library
locations, etc., and I'm trying to sort out debugging info in a
strange (to me), hybrid environment. As it turns out, I was using
journalctl incorrectly and seeing old log info which misled me into
thinking I had a different Raku problem. For some reason, the Raku
module I'm using does have problems, but not directly associated with
Apache or systemd.

> Please do not blame your problems on "Raku" -- a quick look shows it to
> be a derivative of c or c++.  I started in FORTRAN in 1957, cobol in
> 1960, and have never, ever, blamed coding for any failure -- crap in,
> crap out -- YMMV.

I started in FORTRAN in 1961, and other languages since. I am a core
developer for  Raku, and I have never "blamed" the languages for my
failures. However, I do blame the language or program when they have
bugs. The problem then becomes whose bug ("blame") is it?  Usually it
is my problem, but this situation has been exasperating for me because
debugging it is hard and my program (and another user's published
module) seemed to behave differently in the systemd environment versus
my user space.

Best regards,

-Tom