How to configure and use mod_markdown

Ubuntu server 20.04.3 Apache2
I am trying to install support for rendering files with extension .md so they
are displayed like for example md files in GitHub.
I have a lot of md documents, which I need to view regularly and it would be so
much easier if Apache could do this.

So I have asked on Ubuntu User mail list and got directed to this module on
GitHub:
https://github.com/hamano/apache-mod-markdown

I have checked out on trunk and performed the steps in README.md to build and
deposit the module file here (I had to work around deficiencies in documentation
but finally got there):

/usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_markdown.so

Now I would like to get some help in going forward, since the documentation for
this addon is not "for dummies" like myself...

Which apache config files do I need to edit to get this going?

I am OK to begin with to use the default Apache website as the test environment,
but I have no idea how to make that happen.

This is what is printed in the README.md file:

Configuration

in httpd.conf: <== should this be /etc/apache2/apache2.conf ???

LoadModule markdown_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_markdown.so   <== Were
in the file does this go???

<Location />   <== Is this in another file in sites-available?
    AddHandler markdown .md

    # If you want to use stylesheet.
    # MarkdownCss style.css
    # MarkdownHeader "<p>Header</p>"
    # MarkdownFooter "<p>Footer</p>"
</Location>

Or:

<Directory /var/www>  <== Again which file does it go into? 000-default.conf??
    AddHandler markdown .md
    DirectoryIndex index.md
</Directory>

What else needs to be done to make it work?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden