Re: High availability vhosting WAS Re: [users@httpd] Dynamic vhost config?

Felipe Gasper schreef op 2022-01-10 14:47:
On Jan 8, 2022, at 10:01, Eric Covener <covener@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 9:49 AM Felipe Gasper <felipe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

Are there any existing httpd modules that allow for fully dynamic vhost configurations via LDAP or some other query mechanism?

Kind of like mod_vhost_alias, but instead of looking on disk it would query a socket?

If not, is such a thing possible to write via httpd’s existing plugin mechanism?

I don't think it's feasible for them to act like real virtualhosts
e.g. activating arbitrary directives as if they were enclosed in a
unique VirtualHost. Same limitation as mod_vhost_alias has.

There's no reason why a copy of mod_vhost_alias couldn't look up
something the way you describe at runtime to make its decision.
Fortunately It is a very small/simple module.

If I’m understanding you correctly, while it’s easy to make such a
setup with just the very basic controls that mod_vhost_alias exposes,
it’s much harder to have it be able to use, e.g., mod_ruid2,
mod_userdir, etc.? That’s probably unfeasible for my use case.

A bit more context: currently we run httpd in a “classic” single-node
setup, hosting 1,000s of virtual hosts that users individually
control. Any time a user adds/removes/alters a domain, httpd.conf is
updated.

Can't you use separate config files and include them?

We’d like to explore high-availability options, but
containerized/k8s setups that I’ve seen seem to package the
configuration in the container, which means updates to that config
would entail rebuilding the container; that would seem to entail a
dramatic increase in “churn” every time a user adds or removes a
domain.

What, if anything, have others done to address this problem?

You could look into using a NoSQL database for virtual host configurations. The performance should not be noticeably worse as opposed to using a config file that is loaded into memory. I'm not sure if any such modules are openly available for httpd, though.

Something like https://www.litespeedtech.com/solutions/mass-hosting ("HA with Redis").

Thank you!

Cheers,
-Felipe Gasper