Re: Stupid question on mod_header

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 8:58 PM Konstantin Kolinko <knst.kolinko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
ср, 6 окт. 2021 г. в 13:10, Martin Knoblauch <knobi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
>  sorry for asking this likely stupid question. This is with Apache HTTPD 2.4.48.
>
> I want to change the value of the X-Frame-Options response header from DENY to SAMEORIGIN. The header is apparently set by Tomcat 9.0.53.
>
> Naively, because the mod_header documentation says "The response header is set, replacing any previous header with this name. The value may be a format string.", I added a single
>
>     Header always set X-Frame-Options SAMEORIGIN
>
> to the VirtualHost section of the httpd configuration. To my surprise my browser (FF and Chrome) has two headers now, one with DENY, one with SAMEORIGIN. And falls back to DENY :-(
>
> When I add an unset before the set, it works
>
>     Header unset X-Frame-Options
>     Header always set X-Frame-Options SAMEORIGIN
>
> Is my understanding of the mod_header documentation wrong, or do I miss somethiong subtle?

See my recent answer in "X-Frame-Options and security" thread.
https://httpd.markmail.org/message/pwsrgbj7pjy4qiei

All is in the docs, if you read carefully, but I agree that it is subtle.
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/en/mod/mod_headers.html#header

Essentially, (as far as I am reading it), "onsuccess" and "always" are
just names of two separate tables (lists) of headers that exist in
parallel.

<quote>
it does not offer any "normalized" single list of headers
</quote>

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Hi Konstantin,

 OK, so I apparently did not read carefully enough and got the onsuccess/always meaning wrong. Subtle indeed :-)

Anyway, I solved my problem at the root and convinced Spring Websecurity to the "right" header value in the first place.

Cheers
Martin

Martin Knoblauch
email: k n o b i AT knobisoft DOT de