Re: Re: Redirects and rewrites and performance

I have some virtual hosts with well over 100 redirects and I have not seen a user perceptible performance difference. I am sure there will be a machine measurable different between the time it takes for the first redirect versus the last but it doesn't affect the user experience.

Darryl Baker, GSEC  (he/him/his)
Sr. System Administrator
Distributed Application Platform Services
Northwestern University
1800 Sherman Ave.
Suite 6-600 – Box #39
Evanston, IL  60201-3715
darryl.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(847) 467-6674 <tel:+18474676674>

On 9/21/21, 2:52 PM, "Christophe JAILLET" <christophe.jaillet@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Hi,

    Le 20/09/2021 à 18:29, Dave Wreski a écrit :
    > Hi,
    >
    > At what point does it begin to affect performance with the number of
    > redirects and rewrites being used on a website? Have there been any
    > performance studies on this?

    I've never seen such benchmark up to now.

    > We have a website (linuxsecurity.com) that's been around for decades,
    > through many migrations, and have collected many (~10k) redirects along
    > the way.
    >
    > We've also gone through a Joomla migration from the old
    > /content/view/33/45 style links to the SEF/title alias format, and have
    > a script that translates those dynamically as requested.
    >
    > Of course it depends on server load and other factors, but when does it
    > become a point where searching through thousands of links that Apache
    > has stored in memory results in some significant additional delay?
    >
    > Are there other methods of doing these redirects?

    Have a look at RewriteMap with dbm files [1], [2].
    It looks like what you are looking for.
    Your conf file will be much smaller using an indexed file format should
    highly reduce the overhead of thousands of redirections to check.

    > Would implementing
    > them in Joomla directly make any difference, or only add another layer
    > of abstraction?

    I think that it would add another layer of abstraction.

    > Here's one example of a rewrite we're currently using:
    > RewriteRule
    > ^/features/features/verifying-linux-server-security-what-every-admin-needs-to-know$
    > /features/features/verifying-linux-server-security [L,R=301]
    >
    > RewriteRule
    > ^/advisories/fedora/fedora-25-rubygem-rmagick-security-update$
    > /advisories/fedora/fedora-25-rubygem-rmagick-security-update-15-25-00-217101
    > [L,R=301]

    If all your rules are like that (i.e. if you don't have regex), the
    above RewriteMap dbm should be just fine.

    > Also, is there a way to trace a specific redirect? I've somehow created
    > a redirect loop with one of our articles, but enabling tracing on the
    > whole site will create a significant amount of data that makes it very
    > difficult to focus on just the one I'm interested in.

    I don't think it is possible.

    CJ

    [1]: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/en/mod/mod_rewrite.html*rewritemap__;Iw!!Dq0X2DkFhyF93HkjWTBQKhk!H15NUmaqyz0QLEZUAATg9MxjKtmyxmho9SiQu1pzWSG6M2_fa1PFADcddd24gDngUhKjOD9KVw$
    [2]: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/en/rewrite/rewritemap.html*dbm__;Iw!!Dq0X2DkFhyF93HkjWTBQKhk!H15NUmaqyz0QLEZUAATg9MxjKtmyxmho9SiQu1pzWSG6M2_fa1PFADcddd24gDngUhKC89x46Q$