Is there a way to let apache check resources (example AuthUserFile ) when the service starts?

Hello everyone,

I just encountered a server where the AuthUserFile was not there, but apache didn’t complain. I was expecting that the webserver would check whether the resources would be there/reachable at least once during the start. For example “does the file exists” or “is the endpoint reachable” ? (I understand that checing more than the existence of the resources may take too much effort), thus the fact that the authuserfile didn’t even exists and the webserver was running surprised me.

My question(s) then would be:
- is there a way to let apache check the existence of the resources during the start? (once during the start would help)

- why is the design so, that it allows to define resources that aren’t there (at least during the start/reload)?

Thank you for the help

Best regards,

Pier