Re: Intermittently the TLS handshake results in plaintext 400 Bad Request response

I actually thought your suggestion of a reverse proxy or load balancer presenting a problem had merit. I still think that's a good question so we know are we dealing with the error coming from a back end apache  or something in front of it.

Indeed, I think (excluding the packet itself getting mangled upstream), taking the capture on the httpd instance itself eliminates the error coming from something in-front, as we wouldn't see it in that capture if it was.

Also, does your packet trace allow you the ability to see if a firewall is dropping packets and perhaps a misguided IPS blocking some traffic?

I do wish I could blame an IPS, however in this situation it's not triggering anything and there's the same number of packets before the server-response (5) between a successful handshake and an unsuccessful one which has sort of lead me to exonerate it.

Thanks

Rob