Re: SSLCipherSuite DEFAULT

On 4/20/2021 2:56 PM, @lbutlr wrote:
On 20 Apr 2021, at 09:45, Jim Albert <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/20/2021 9:48 AM, @lbutlr wrote:
If I define SSLCipherSuite DEFAULT will apache show the ciphers that are defined by openSSL and will be used?

Is this the best way to go, or should I specifically list TLSv1.2 and
TLS1.3?

The complete list of ciphers that openssl supports numbers 60 and still
includes some 14 TLSv1 ciphers like PSK-AES128-CBC-SHA256, among others.
Trying to search on recommendations comes up with a lot of "use these
settings to allow IE 6.0" which is of literally no. interest to me at all.

This is what I am looking at using:

Protocols h2 h2c http/1.1
SSLCipherSuite DEFAULT
SSLProtocol all -TLSv1.1 -TLSv1 -SSLv2 -SSLv3

But I may relent on TLSv1/1.1 after checking logs.

I think that if I set SSLCipherSuite DEFAULT and SSLProtocol to not allow the older TLS and SSL that will provide ciphers and security that are supported by current browsers and if I allow TLSv1 it should support old browsers going back more than a decade, yes?

Per https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslciphersuite
Setting SSLCipherSuite to DEFAULT is dependent on OpenSSL version.
Right, and I am running the current version of OpenSSL which, for example, doesn't support SSLv3 or TLSv1.1.

I'd be surprised if that were true.
If you run 'openssl ciphers -v ALL' you see no SSLv3 ciphers?
Not that you should make use of them, but I'd expect them to still be supported.

I believe running 'openssl ciphers'
Ad that shows ciphers for TLSv1.1 and SSLv3, which is why I am a tad confused.

That's what I'd expect  per my comment above.

You can compare:
openssl ciphers -v ALL
openssl ciphers -v DEFAULT

However, I doubt very much that either is what you want to use in practice.

I'd continue to suggest
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Server_Side_TLS
or
https://ssl-config.mozilla.org/
which someone else pointed out and is also referenced from https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Server_Side_TLS

will list your openssl installation's default cipher list which I am assuming is what SSLCipherSuite set to DEFAULT would use, but I'm guessing. You'd have to confirm that.

I've always referenced https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Server_Side_TLS as a decent starting point. Intermediate is usually a pretty good starting point for a public web server. Then watching for any cipher-based vulnerabilities that are announced or reported by any vulnerability testing
you might have performed.
Thanks, I did not find that, I was diving in apache 2.4 examples that were 3+ years old.

It's impressive how much faster h2 is than http/1.1.