require valid-users for location bypasses other unrelated restrictions

Hi,
I trying to understand how the "Require" directive works in non-trivial
cases. This is one example:

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName 127.0.0.1
  DocumentRoot "/var/www/html/site"
  <Location "/area/admin/">
    Authtype Basic
    Authname "site"
    AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf/htpasswd
    Require valid-user
  </Location>
  <Files "README.*">
    Require all denied
  </Files>
</VirtualHost>

When I access http://localhost/area/admin/README.txt without a password
httpd will respond with a 401 as expected but when I supply the correct
credentials not only do I get access to the admin location (expected)
but also to the README.txt file (unexpected).

Why is the "Require all denied" ignored in this case? When I comment out
the location block then I will get the correct 403 Forbidden response so
it seems the "Require valid-user" seems to basically erase the
restrictions defined elsewhere.

How would I specify this correctly so that a password grants me access
to the admin area but the limitation on the README files stays intact?

Regards,
  Dennis