Client certificate authentication against (Open)LDAP server

OS : Debian 10.7
Apache HTTPD : 2.4.38 (from standard repo)

Dear,

my setup is as follows  : above mentioned Apache connecting to OpenLDAP.
User basic authentication (username/password) already works (against LDAP inetOrgPerson structure)
What I would like to achieve is to have user certificates in the inetOrgPerson->userCertificate attribute and the users would have to authenticate against that by presenting the corresponding private key.
Like one would do by : curl -u test_01 --key priv.key https://test.com

2 questions :
1. is the above possible to achieve by any configuration/module or do I have to try to code this ?
2. if the above is true, I suspect I still need the username to be provided by the user, right ? (it would be like username/password authentication but instead of a password the user would provide a private key)

Thanks in advance