Re: To Gzip or not?

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 15:01 Antony Stone <Antony.Stone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Saturday 10 October 2020 at 20:23:46, Tom Browder wrote:

> > I've been looking at ways to speed up my web services using
> > https://webpagetest.org for analysis. One thing I've been reading about is
> > using mod_deflate to compress certain files but keep seeing the warnings
>
> Which warnings?  Where?

> > about using compression with https due to certain known threats.
>
> What threats?

> Can you point us at any document about what this "issue" is, so that we know
> what "threat" you're concerned about?

Well it started with the docs for 2.4 and mod_deflate. Therein is this, quote: =====>

Compression and TLS

Some web applications are vulnerable to an information disclosure attack when a TLS connection carries deflate compressed data. For more information, review the details of the "BREACH" family of attacks.

<===== End quote.

I searched for the doc reference "BREACH" + "attack" and got several hits such as: TLSv1.3 has a post-handshake problem

And an excerpt from it, quote: =====>

CRIME and TIME

CRIME (Compression Ratio Info-leak Made Easy) is a cross-layer protocol attack that includes a compression side-channel attack against HTTPS. It leverages information leaked by TLS compression on messages sent from the client to the server. CRIME can recover targeted parts of the plaintext given a MiTM access.

In March 2013 at the Black Hat (EU), Tal Be’ery presented an extension of CRIME named TIME. It debuted two new enhancements: it used CRIME for server-to-client messages and did not require a MiTM situation by exploiting TCP window sizes. The first of these two modifications gave rise to BREACH (see further down).

THE FIX: CRIME is ineffective against TLS 1.3 because TLS 1.3 disables TLS-level compression.

To verify if a server is vulnerable to CRIME on port 443:

openssl s_client -connect domainname.com:443

In the output of this command, look for TLS compression; if enabled, the server is vulnerable to CRIME.

<===== End quote.

When I last serious upgrades to my servers last July one problem with using TLS 1.3 was that the Firefox browser couldn't use it as because of post-handshake problems. So I'm currently running TLSv1.2.

Best,

-Tom