Re: Allow relative paths in Directory directives?

Hi!

Thank you for your reply. There are absolutely more or less awful solutions that work around this issue, my preferred one being to abuse the <Location> directive, but I have the feeling that this is a fairly common thing that people want to do - block access to this subdirectory, exempt this directory from authentication, etc. Having the option of specifying such directories relative to the document root seems like a useful feature to me.

Shipping a largely functional example vhost file for a web application springs to mind as a good use case - simply instruct the user to modify the DocumentRoot and otherwise leave the file alone.

To be clear, I don't have an unresolved configuration problem that I want to solve. Rather I'm considering requesting a new feature that seems like it would be useful, and would like to know if there are any reasons that it would be a Bad Idea.

/T

On 2020-09-11 12:23, Gillis J. de Nijs wrote:
Hi Erik,

Couldn't you do something like this?

<Directory "/www/*/public_html">

That should work just fine, if you have your vhosts in a common structure.  Alternatively, you could look at DirectoryMatch and come up with something awful that matches your structure.

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/core.html#directory
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/core.html#directorymatch

Cheers,
Gillis