Re: mod_md: is a restart always require for auto updates?

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 02:01 Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1. For an auto renewal for the current managed domain, will I have to
> manually restart each time?
Clarification: only a reload (graceful) is necessary, not stop+start.

Good point, thanks.

Since the renewal is done usually a month in advance, you have plenty of time. My debian systemd controlled apache is restarted gracefully each day anyway, for example.

Was that systemd installed by debian or did you modify debian's files or install your own?

I haven't yet installed a systemd file because I'm not sure how best to create a satisfactory one.  I would like a daily graceful restart even if I have to create a manual cron job.

> 3. According to my reading of the docs, using OCSP via mod_md looks to
> be the best practice. Am I correct?

It is designed to be more reliable and also offers monitoring. But it is a new thing and bugs may be found.

I think I will try it. I have nothing really mission critical running.

Thank you very much, Stefan!

Cheers,

-Tom