Segmentation faults on graceful reload of Apache httpd with APR 1.7.0 and mod_auth_openidc

Hi everyone,

We have been having issues with segmentation faults on graceful restarts of Apache httpd in combination with the module mod_auth_openidc.

After a back and forth with one of the developers over on Github, we came to the finding that the segmentation faults occur with version 1.7.0 of the APR but not version 1.6.5. The full discussion can be found in the Github issue at https://github.com/zmartzone/mod_auth_openidc/issues/458.

To reliably reproduce the problem, my coworker created a Docker container and uploaded it to Docker Hub at https://hub.docker.com/r/ifrido/httpd-openidc-debug with detailed steps to produce the segmentation fault on the Overview page. The corresponding Dockerfile can be viewed at https://hub.docker.com/r/ifrido/httpd-openidc-debug/dockerfile.

The setup consists of the following components:
- centos:latest (Docker image),
- apr-1.7.0 (self-compiled),
- apr-util-1.6.1 (self-compiled),
- httpd-2.4.41 (self-compiled), and
- mod_auth_openidc-2.4.1 (self-compiled).

My coworker also confirmed that the problem does not occur, if APR version 1.6.5 is used instead of version 1.7.0.

Note that we are not sure if it is a bug in mod_auth_openidc, in APR 1.7.0, our configuration, or the way we build the components.

We are not sure how to proceed with this issue, so any help or suggestions are appreciated. I am also happy to provide more information if necessary.

Thanks!
Simon