Re: Fwd: Warning from users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Date: Saturday, October 26, 2019 13:16:36 +0100
> From: sebb <sebbaz@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 at 16:20, Richard
> <lists-apache@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > Date: Friday, October 25, 2019 20:37:49 +0530
>> > From: Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx>
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> > I am getting bounce message , what should I do?.
>> > ----------------
>> > Thanks

>> > Messages to you from the users mailing list seem to
>> > have been bouncing. I've attached a copy of the first bounce
>> > message I received.
>>

>> This is a list configuration issue over which you have no control.
>>
>> This list needs to be configured to handle DMARC properly.
>>
>> Because the list doesn't do DMARC rewriting you may miss list
>> messages from people sending from p=reject domains, but won't
>> actually get kicked off the list because these bounce-check
>> messages will get delivered to you.
>
> Not all bounces are due to DMARC issues.
>
> The receiving mail system may detect another issue, such as SPAM,
> and reject the mail.
>
> There are bound to be differences in the rules that different
> systems apply, so there will be occasions when the ASF system
> forwards a mail which is later rejected by one or more receivers.
>
> There are lots of other reasons why the receiver may bounce the
> email.
>
> In this case, the email does not appear to have any DMARC headers:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-users/201909.mbox/ra
> w/%3cd09ee182-8902-90b8-1081-a8a956ff4818@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx%3e
>
> You can ask for a copy of the email to be sent to you by emailing:
>
> users-get.118921@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Of course this may fail if the receiver detects a problem again.

I agree, there are a range of reasons that a receiving host might
reject a message. When you add in DMARC - because the headers aren't
rewritten - the chances of rejects, and because of that that someone
will get kicked off a list, increase dramatically (at least for those
of us whose ESPs enforce DMARC).

Indeed, the headers on that message don't include any DMARC
references, and that's the problem. The sender's host/domain
(helios.jpl.nasa.gov) has DMARC set to "p=reject":

  dig txt _dmarc.helios.jpl.nasa.gov

  ;; ANSWER SECTION:
  _dmarc.helios.jpl.nasa.gov. 569	IN	TXT	"v=DMARC1; p=reject;

which means that messages that purport to be from that host/domain
can't be seen to be being sent from "just anywhere". Because the
sender's message was (re-)sent from an "apache.org" domain/IP it
failed DMARC which got it rejected from DMARC-enforcing ESPs.

For anyone using a DMARC-enforcing ESP (of which gmail is one), it's
fairly routine to get kicked off (or threatened with removal from)
lists that don't do the necessary rewriting -- which seems to include
most (all?) of the "apache.org" hosted lists.