Create cookies using Rewrite after successful mod_authn_dbd login

Hello,

I am using Apache 2.4.29 on Ubuntu 18.04 and I am migrating a site
that has a directory that was originally protected via login using my
own CGI. As part of this migration I have changed this to use dbd via
pgsql and this works as expected, prompting me to login when I request
the directory in the URL.

My original CGI created JavaScript accessible cookies when the user
was authenticated as they are needed by the pages to work. According
to the documentation for mod_authn_dbd it says that additional columns
will be set as environment variables in the form of
AUTHENTICATE_COLUMN if httpd was built against APR 1.3.0+.

However, I’ve made various attempts at doing this using RewriteCond
and RewriteRule but I never get a cookie set regardless of what I do,
nor do I get anything in the error log either, so I’m evidently doing
something wrong.

I would appreciate it if you could tell me how I can set cookies on a
successful login please as I'm totally baffled.

This is taken from my Directory element:
AuthDBDUserPWQuery "SELECT U.PassHash PassHash, U.ID UID, U.UID UUID,
U.GID UGID, U.UserName UserName, G.ID GID FROM Subscriber.Users U,
Sunscriber.Groups G WHERE ((U.GID = G.UID) AND (email = %s))"
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE} ^!uid [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.)$ - [CO=uid:%{AUTHENTICATE_UUID}:.localhost:1:/:0:0]

I have tried many a variation on the above but sadly for me nothing works.