Re: Expose my server to internet

On 7/4/19 12:16 AM, Padmahas Bn wrote:
Hello,

Out of curiosity, I just want to access my server over internet.
I have forwarded port 80.
I have got a free domain in NoIP.
In my router I've also configured the settings and successfully logged in.
But when I test whether my port 80 is accessible, it's not opened.
This is my home system, using Ubuntu 18.04. I've not enabled any firewall by myself.

I think you're saying that you can access port 80 on your local network but not from the Internet and are wondering what's blocking it.   It's another matter if you can't access your website on your own local network.  If that's the case, yes, you need to configure your conf file properly.  Read the tutorial on the apache site for a walk through.

I'm not sure what you mean by "successfully logged in" into your router.

Your router will need to support NAT to translate your local IP address to the one on the Internet.

If I was you, the first thing I would do is run tcpdump or wireshark on your machine running apache and make sure you see an HTTP request coming in and a response going back out.   You can do the same thing while testing your local network, too.

Something like:

$ sudo tcpdump -i enp2s0 -vvvSXn port 80

This should give you the clues as to what's happening on your network.  Of course, you can also see a request in your apache log.   I think the default on Ubuntu for the log is /var/log/apache2/access.log

This page on our site might help you with tcpdump: https://mindchasers.com/dev/tools-tcpdump

Good luck,

Bob

So just wanted to know whether should I configure anything in Apache httpd to make port 80 accessible?

Thank you.