Re: Does Apache do a "graceful" automatically over time?

John,

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 1:23 AM Rose, John B <jbrose@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> As always, a "thank you" to everyone that works on Apache.
>

> Some background and resultant question ...
>

> We had made some changes in the afternoon to some virtual host configs that we intended to implement the next morning with a graceful restart of Apache.
>

> That was going to be coordinated with a restart of php-fm which had to be done before the graceful of Apache
>

> Anyway, the next morning the sites utilizing PHP were getting a 503 error before we restarted anything. It seems as though Apache must have implemented the virtual host config changes sometime between the previous afternoon and the next morning. But no one had manually done the graceful.
>

> Does Apache do a "graceful" restart automatically over time?

There is a possibility. If you are using MPM and have set a non-zero
value for MaxConnectionsPerChild, this can happen. Once
MaxConnectionsPerChild limit is reached, that child server will be
terminated and a new one will be started. Do you have that in your
config?