Correct Apache cache keys on rewritten URL's

Hello All,

I've been working on this for the past few days, attempting to find a way to get the Apache mod_disk_cache module to properly store requests that are rewritten. As I'm sure many of you are aware, it's fairly common practice these days for modern CMS's to just rewrite everything to index.php and let that handle things (so-called "pretty urls" or "permalinks"). However, this rewrite renders Apache's cache useless because this then means that ALL dynamic requests are cached under the same "http://domain.com/index.php"; key, which would mean that anyone who would request, say, "http://domain.com/thing2"; might get the content of "http://domain.com/thing1"; that is already in the cache.

I've been trying many different approaches to fixing this (from attempting to detect when/if the URL was rewritten, to attempting to dynamically set the CacheKeyBaseURL directive), but so far I've been unable to come up with any way to resolve this issue. I feel like dynamically setting the "CacheKeyBaseURL" holds the most promise if this can actually be done, but then again fixing the Apache caching function to better handle rewritten URI's would be ideal.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I might get this working? Other than "don't use it" or "use something else" :) - I'd really like to use Apache cache if possible.

Thanks in advance!