Internal Server Error - strange characters "ę" and "ł"

Hi all,

I have a server with some software on called "EPrints". When uploading some data via am EPrints form I get an "Internal Server Error" upon submission and the data is not submitted.

I have found that the slightly unusual characters "ę" and "ł" cause this. When they are both removed from the form, it all works as expected. I suspect it's a server issue rather than an EPrints/software issue, but I am an Apache novice.

Has anybody came across this before and is able to offer advice? Even just knowing what to Google for a solution would be helpful as I'm not getting far with it at the moment.

Thanks,
James