Can apache http server handle millions of static pages or pictures ?

I have a website with millions of pages. The content on the page stored in
database but the data is not changed very frequently. so for the sake of
improving the performance of the website and reducing the costs of
deployment of web applications, I want to generate the static pages for the
dynamic content and refresh the pages if the contents are changed. But I am
very concerned about how to manage these large amount of pages. how should I
store these pages? I plan to use Apache http server to manage these pages.
Is it possible that it will cause IO problems when the web server handle
many requests? What is the capability of handing requests for Apache http
Server ? Is there any better solutions for this issue?