Re: Apache SSL cerificates

On 9/13/2018 8:27 AM, Vandana Sakamuri wrote:
Hi,

I compile Apache on one server and install the same on multiple servers in different domains. I am currently working on moving from HTTP to HTTPS. Can someone help me on what sort of SSL certificate I need to include so that it works on all the domains. Is a wildcard certificate needed in this situation or a single public SSL certificate be enough.

Thanks!

You can use an SSL wildcard certificate for all hosts within a single domain or an SSL certificate with Alternate Name extensions for a single certificate to cover multiple domains. Public CAs will charge more for either of these types of certificates vs a certificate to cover a single non-wildcard CN, but it is less expensive than a separate certificate for each domain. Wildcard certificates will have a set price while Alternate Name extension certificates are usually priced by the number of extensions.

Jim