Re: Slow Apache 2.4 server

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018, 9:24 PM Richard <lists-apache@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Date: Thursday, June 21, 2018 20:06:16 +0200
> From: Jørn <apache2.user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On Thursday, June 21, 2018 08:11:02 Gryzli Bugbear wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Maybe you should first find where the slowness come from (most
>> probably it is php, rather than Apache).
>
> That was in my mind, but tests show that PHP is much faster on the
> new server than on the  old one. PHP 7 is by nature faster than PHP
> 5.x and the since the new server is much more  powerfull (8 cores
> vs 2 and higher cpu and memory frequency).
>
> There is not much to do for the PHP code to render the thumbnails.
> It just get the image  identifier from the URL, looks up in the
> database and based on the answer from the  database, it read a
> small file from the disk and return it to the client.
>
> But to be sure, I added timers to check the speed of the code. It
> confirm that the PHP  code itself IS much faster on the new server.
>
> The old server is a dual core AMD @ 800 Mhz CPU speed.
> The new server is a 8 core AMD @ 4 Ghz CPU speed.

What are the rated data transfer rates of the disks on the two
machines? While the new machine's disks *should* be at least as fast,
there are a range of variables and so no guarantee. As a basic test,
try simple file transfers (e.g., using scp) between these two
machines and a third one. Do both large files, and groups of small
ones. You need to keep as many variables as possible constant in the
test - e.g., same network connectivity from these servers to testing
machine, etc.